By Bola Bamigbola
The Secretary to Osun State Government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji, on Thursday, said about 500,000 households in the state had so far benefitted from the government’s monthly food support scheme, through which vulnerable residents received food items.
Oyebamiji, who represented the state governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, at the flag-off of the distribution of the 16th edition of the programme in Osogbo, emphasised the determination of the administration to revolutionalise Osun economy.
He said the government was not in any way deterred by the outcome of the last governorship election, as the continuation of the initiative was in fulfillment of the promises to make life meaningful and worthwhile for the citizens.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Ismail Omipidan, quoting the SSG further read in parts, “You will recall that 16 months ago, we flagged off the food support scheme for the vulnerable citizens and we did say that as long as we are in power, we would continue this scheme. Election or no election can’t hinder the continuity of this programme and many others and the effect of the commitment is what you are seeing today.
“As of today, we are still in a government and as long as we are in government, we shall continue to champion the cause of the masses of our people in line with the mandate. We must among other things ensure their welfare and security.
“We are in government and we shall continue to provide this welfare scheme. We have impacted about half a million households directly since the commencement.”